Purées

It's time to start thinking about introducing Seth to vegetables. We're starting with yellow/orange veggies so Sal and I picked up a fresh butternut squash and a sweet potato at the store this evening.

As much as I hate being in the kitchen, there's just something about making baby food that I love. It's a really simple process and it's fun watching your baby try something you made for the very first time.

I found this recipe for butternut squash purée on Pinterest. Here is my interpretation.

I baked the squash as directed, and when I pulled it out of the oven the skin was pulling away from the meat. I ran a knife between the skin and the meat while gently pulling the skin and for the most part it peeled right off. What didn't come off that way I peeled away with a knife, like you would do to potato or cucumber skin.

Then I cut the squash up in manageable pieces, it basically fell apart, and threw it into the blender with 4oz of formula. I ended up adding a bit more formula to make it kind of soupy (these are his first solids afterall) so you'll just have to play around with that to obtain the consistency you want.

I bought two sets of the Pampered Chef herb freezing trays when I hosted a party a couple months ago and thought they'd be perfect for freezing baby food. They are. I love that the base of each "cup" is silicone so it's easy to pop out each frozen cube.

Next up, sweet potatoes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been almost 8 months

Girls Weekend

Hello World. It's me, Dana.