Oh Happy Day
Sal and I had a wonderful Sunday. And, I have pictures. Yay.
Since we didn't get home until 1am from Cleveland, we slept in. That was the first exciting event of the day. I didn't wake up until 8:30. Then we scrambled to get ready so we could get a trip to Lowe's in before Mass at 12.
Not only did we make it to Lowe's, but we went to Handel's as well. It's never too early for ice cream.
We made it home in time to unload the car and then we headed off to church. Church seemed to be over really quickly, but maybe it's because I wasn't constantly shushing kids or trying to keep them still.
When we got home I cut the grass with our new, shiny red push mower. Now, I could have taken the easy way out and gone the self-propelled route, but I just feel like I need the exercise and Sal didn't care either way.
Because we don't have anywhere to throw bagged grass, we use the mulching option which works quite nicely.
While I mow I dream up all sorts of wonderful outdoor improvements we can make on our property. I would like to add a stamped concrete patio, remove all lot of random and out of control bushes around the perimeter of the house, and add a longer front porch. I don't know how impressed Sal is with all of my ideas, but he "MmmHmms" at all the right times when I relay my plans.
Sal had lots of schoolwork to do since he has a concert this Thursday, but he did grill steaks on the grill and make a salad. When we were done eating I talked him into taking a bike ride. I discovered a trail about 5 minutes from our house and we decided to check it out.
Here's what I found online about it:
The Millvale Riverfront Trail is 1.7 miles long. The trail provides access from Millvale to the North Shore, PNC Park, and Heinz Stadium along the Three Rivers Heritage Trail. The trail meanders along the Allegheny River, past Herr's Island , the TRRA Millvale Boathouse and into the Millvale Riverfront park. Plans for a bike/pedestrian bridge from the Millvale riverfront to Herr's island has received partial funding from DCNR and plans to connect the Millvale Trail to points north are being discussed. Access to the Millvale business district is less than half a mile away and restrooms are available.
The Millvale Riverfront Trail is part of the Three Rivers Heritage Trail.
Herr's Island has an interesting history. I heard about this years ago, and it piqued my interest.
In 1753, George Washington’s raft capsized, and he landed on a nearby island. He ended up sleeping on Herr’s Island, which was later renamed to Washington’s Landing because of this historic event. Its renaming marked the island’s break from its former use into its new residential use.
In 1903 Pennsylvania Railroad bought a portion of the island to be used as a stop-over for its route from Chicago to New York. By law, livestock was required to have rest, food, and water after every 36 hours of travel. The island also became a site for meatpacking and rendering. It emanated a foul smell which drifted for miles.
The island is now now a mixed use community, home to townhomes and business parks, as well as a marina, the Three Rivers Rowing Association and the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy.
Anyway, on our bike ride this evening we ended up at PNC Park, of course. When you're with Sal all roads lead to a ballpark. Our odometers weren't working so we're not sure just how far we road, but probably close to 9 miles.

Hopefully in the very near future we'll have time to take the trail even further. We really enjoyed what we saw of it so far. I love that we can access it so quickly from our house.
Here's a pretty bad picture of what we looked like at the end - our first married bike ride.
Since we didn't get home until 1am from Cleveland, we slept in. That was the first exciting event of the day. I didn't wake up until 8:30. Then we scrambled to get ready so we could get a trip to Lowe's in before Mass at 12.
Not only did we make it to Lowe's, but we went to Handel's as well. It's never too early for ice cream.
We made it home in time to unload the car and then we headed off to church. Church seemed to be over really quickly, but maybe it's because I wasn't constantly shushing kids or trying to keep them still.
When we got home I cut the grass with our new, shiny red push mower. Now, I could have taken the easy way out and gone the self-propelled route, but I just feel like I need the exercise and Sal didn't care either way.
Because we don't have anywhere to throw bagged grass, we use the mulching option which works quite nicely.
While I mow I dream up all sorts of wonderful outdoor improvements we can make on our property. I would like to add a stamped concrete patio, remove all lot of random and out of control bushes around the perimeter of the house, and add a longer front porch. I don't know how impressed Sal is with all of my ideas, but he "MmmHmms" at all the right times when I relay my plans.
Sal had lots of schoolwork to do since he has a concert this Thursday, but he did grill steaks on the grill and make a salad. When we were done eating I talked him into taking a bike ride. I discovered a trail about 5 minutes from our house and we decided to check it out.
Here's what I found online about it:
The Millvale Riverfront Trail is 1.7 miles long. The trail provides access from Millvale to the North Shore, PNC Park, and Heinz Stadium along the Three Rivers Heritage Trail. The trail meanders along the Allegheny River, past Herr's Island , the TRRA Millvale Boathouse and into the Millvale Riverfront park. Plans for a bike/pedestrian bridge from the Millvale riverfront to Herr's island has received partial funding from DCNR and plans to connect the Millvale Trail to points north are being discussed. Access to the Millvale business district is less than half a mile away and restrooms are available.
The Millvale Riverfront Trail is part of the Three Rivers Heritage Trail.
Herr's Island has an interesting history. I heard about this years ago, and it piqued my interest.
In 1753, George Washington’s raft capsized, and he landed on a nearby island. He ended up sleeping on Herr’s Island, which was later renamed to Washington’s Landing because of this historic event. Its renaming marked the island’s break from its former use into its new residential use.
In 1903 Pennsylvania Railroad bought a portion of the island to be used as a stop-over for its route from Chicago to New York. By law, livestock was required to have rest, food, and water after every 36 hours of travel. The island also became a site for meatpacking and rendering. It emanated a foul smell which drifted for miles.
Anyway, on our bike ride this evening we ended up at PNC Park, of course. When you're with Sal all roads lead to a ballpark. Our odometers weren't working so we're not sure just how far we road, but probably close to 9 miles.
Hopefully in the very near future we'll have time to take the trail even further. We really enjoyed what we saw of it so far. I love that we can access it so quickly from our house.
Here's a pretty bad picture of what we looked like at the end - our first married bike ride.

Comments
Post a Comment