Good Friday
The Good Friday service was at 1pm, and we told the girls that if they could behave we would take them to the zoo afterwards.
Mass was longer than I expected, but the girls were excited to participate in Veneration of the Cross. Different churches perform this ceremony different ways, but Holy Spirit in Millvale has two altar boys hold a large crucifix while parishioners form a double line down the center aisle. The lines alternate kissing the feet of Jesus on the cross.
We were in the right hand line and should have exited to the right, but I allowed Emmy to go ahead of me and after she kissed the feet she went left instead of right. I knew she wouldn't go far and she did see me return to my seat so she cut through the line and returned to us.
Veneration is followed by a communion service since Good Friday is not a full mass.
Following the service we did go to the zoo.
Just as we exited the elevator, Sarah spotted a $5 bill laying on the ground. There was no one around to return it to so we let her keep it. She was so excited, and asked me to put it in her bank account.
Emmy really wanted to see the zebra, but it (or they) was (were) nowhere to be found. The ostrich was pretty active, and Sal and I found her amusing.
Sarah was determined to see sharks for some reason. She seemed quite impressed when we did find them, but a little boy, probably about two, burst into tears when the shark got a little too close to him. I felt bad for him, but it was pretty funny.
The polar bears were also in their enclosure, but unfortunately they weren't swimming. We did see this fun sign though. I guess they don't want people to get that much of an education.
Following the zoo we decided to hit up Rita's for Italian Ice.
Normally I wouldn't start a project, like dyeing Easter eggs, at 6pm, but the girls were begging and they had gotten along better today than usual.
I noticed a big change this year. They shared colors nicely, they had the patience to wait for the egg to turn a nicely saturated color, and they didn't get bored five minutes into it.
When they were finished with the eggs, we only did about 10 total, Emmy went outside to "help" Sal cut the grass. That's a stroller she's pushing. Life is all about improvising :-)

We could not have had a more perfect day. I love having a 7 and 5 year old. They are so much fun.
Mass was longer than I expected, but the girls were excited to participate in Veneration of the Cross. Different churches perform this ceremony different ways, but Holy Spirit in Millvale has two altar boys hold a large crucifix while parishioners form a double line down the center aisle. The lines alternate kissing the feet of Jesus on the cross.
We were in the right hand line and should have exited to the right, but I allowed Emmy to go ahead of me and after she kissed the feet she went left instead of right. I knew she wouldn't go far and she did see me return to my seat so she cut through the line and returned to us.
Veneration is followed by a communion service since Good Friday is not a full mass.
Following the service we did go to the zoo.
Just as we exited the elevator, Sarah spotted a $5 bill laying on the ground. There was no one around to return it to so we let her keep it. She was so excited, and asked me to put it in her bank account.
Sarah was determined to see sharks for some reason. She seemed quite impressed when we did find them, but a little boy, probably about two, burst into tears when the shark got a little too close to him. I felt bad for him, but it was pretty funny.
Following the zoo we decided to hit up Rita's for Italian Ice.
I noticed a big change this year. They shared colors nicely, they had the patience to wait for the egg to turn a nicely saturated color, and they didn't get bored five minutes into it.
When they were finished with the eggs, we only did about 10 total, Emmy went outside to "help" Sal cut the grass. That's a stroller she's pushing. Life is all about improvising :-)
We could not have had a more perfect day. I love having a 7 and 5 year old. They are so much fun.
Comments
Post a Comment