Holy Thursday
Easter break started today for the girls, and Sal too. I was stuck going into work. For the first time in their young lives, we decided to take the girls to the Holy Thursday mass. It didn't start until 7pm, which is late for them on a school night, but since they had slept in and just hung around the house all day I figured they could handle it.
At this mass the priest washes the feet of twelve parishioners, just as Jesus washed the feet of the twelve apostles prior to his Last Supper.
Emmy was particularly interested in this ritual, but it was Sarah who volunteered to be one of the twelve. Sal also participated.
They, and ten others, sat on metal folding chairs that lined one side of the main aisle at St. Nicholas. The priest began with Sal who was sitting on the end closest to the altar. Sarah was next and I caught her grin when the priest poured the water over her foot. I heard him ask if it was cold, and Sarah nodded in return.
I wanted to take a picture, but decided quickly that it would probably be frowned about so I fought the urge. I hope the experience stays with Sarah, and Emmy too.
Comments
Post a Comment