Spring Break, Day 3
We decided to try out the Turkey Hill Experience this morning. It was expensive, although my dad paid so that was a nice surprise, and I just didn't feel it was worth it. We did enjoy the free samples of ice cream and tea though, of course.
Someone commented that it was more crowded than usual so maybe that contributed to our overall experience.
Seth enjoyed playing on the old-fashioned milk delivery truck. The girls did try out some of the exhibits, and I mostly just tried to keep an eye on everyone. We spent a couple hours, but nobody was sad to leave.
From there we headed to Lititz, Pennsylvania to tour the Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery. This was something my dad had wanted to do, and it ended up being a worthwhile experience.
The girls learned how to shape pretzel dough into pretzels, saw the ovens where the pretzels were baked, and received samples of the finished product. We also bought soft pretzels to try. The pretzels were somehow lighter or airier than pretzel brands we have here in Pittsburgh. It's hard to describe, but they were very good.
We had a chance to walk around Lititz prior to our tour, and I decided it rivals Jim Thorpe for being the cutest town in this state.
I loved all the old buildings. So much stone and rough wood. I found Lititz's wiki page and if you scroll there's an image of two buildings side-by-side that highlight what I loved about this town.

The bakery building itself was built in 1784. The oldest all-girls boarding school in the US, Linden Hall, is also located in Lititz. I just love that kind of history. It would be the perfect weekend getaway destination, and I'm sure there are several bed and breakfast inn's that would be wonderful to try.
Right next to our hotel in Hershey is a brewery which offers a self-guided tour. The girls thought it smelled disgusting, but it took all of 5 minutes to see everything. They begged to have dinner at Red Robin rather than at the brewery so we agreed.
We made today an earlier evening so that we would have time for swimming, which is the highlight of any kid's vacation.
Someone commented that it was more crowded than usual so maybe that contributed to our overall experience. Seth enjoyed playing on the old-fashioned milk delivery truck. The girls did try out some of the exhibits, and I mostly just tried to keep an eye on everyone. We spent a couple hours, but nobody was sad to leave.
From there we headed to Lititz, Pennsylvania to tour the Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery. This was something my dad had wanted to do, and it ended up being a worthwhile experience.
The girls learned how to shape pretzel dough into pretzels, saw the ovens where the pretzels were baked, and received samples of the finished product. We also bought soft pretzels to try. The pretzels were somehow lighter or airier than pretzel brands we have here in Pittsburgh. It's hard to describe, but they were very good.
We had a chance to walk around Lititz prior to our tour, and I decided it rivals Jim Thorpe for being the cutest town in this state.
I loved all the old buildings. So much stone and rough wood. I found Lititz's wiki page and if you scroll there's an image of two buildings side-by-side that highlight what I loved about this town.
The bakery building itself was built in 1784. The oldest all-girls boarding school in the US, Linden Hall, is also located in Lititz. I just love that kind of history. It would be the perfect weekend getaway destination, and I'm sure there are several bed and breakfast inn's that would be wonderful to try.
Right next to our hotel in Hershey is a brewery which offers a self-guided tour. The girls thought it smelled disgusting, but it took all of 5 minutes to see everything. They begged to have dinner at Red Robin rather than at the brewery so we agreed.
We made today an earlier evening so that we would have time for swimming, which is the highlight of any kid's vacation.
Comments
Post a Comment