Special Day for Sarah
Sarah volunteered to read.
Reading has been a real struggle for Sarah. No one ever specifically pinpointed the issue, but last year and well into this year words were a challenge. So much so that midway through Kindergarten her teacher recommended she see a reading specialist for help. Sarah has been seeing Mrs. Connolly ever since and within the last month or so I can see a real improvement. Reading is finally clicking.Of course Sarah is aware that reading does not come as easily to her as other kids. This is why when she volunteered to read I was so impressed. Her teacher divided Friday's reading into 3 parts and assigned each section to a different child. I know Sarah was practicing all week and by Friday, she was ready.
Before mass she told me her stomach had butterflies, but she walked up to the altar, lined up with the two other readers, bowed in unison, and each child waited his or her turn to read. An eighth grader held the microphone.
Sarah read last and when it was her turn, she did great. She read clearly, smoothly, and without hesitation.
It's a big deal to any parent when their child rises to the occasion, but it's even more impressive when you know how hard they've worked to do what it is she just did.
So many of us were there to witness her big moment too. My mom drove down from Franklin. My sister and 5 year old nephew came up from Washington, and even my godparents (from Pittsburgh) were there too. I'm sure it meant the world to Sarah to know so many people wanted to see her succeed.
Before we left Sarah gave me the mother's day gifts she worked so hard on this past week. I swear teachers have some of the sweetest and meaningful ideas.
Comments
Post a Comment