Poor Sarah
Sarah and Emmy had such a good time riding their bikes around the neighborhood on Mother's Day, that Sal and I decided they were ready for the bike trail. We decided to hit the bike trail on Monday, May 12.
Sarah took us quite literally about "hitting" the trail and fell off her bike shortly after we made it to the end and turned around. I saw it happen before it actually did, but there was nothing I could do to prevent it. She went down and started screaming.
I checked her out, put her back on the bike, and she cried the four miles back to the car.
She complained about her arm/wrist hurting all evening, but it wasn't swollen or bruised so I gave her Motrin and sent her to bed. It didn't look any worse on Tuesday, but she did say it hurt. On Wednesday she went to soccer practice and fell on it, of course. After that incident it swelled up and she went to the doctor today.
She was diagnosed with a radial buckle fracture and is now sporting this bright pink cast.
I know kids break bones and that this is a common occurrence actually, but I hate seeing her hurt. She, fortunately, doesn't seem all that bothered by it. In fact, I think she enjoys being pampered a little bit. She gets baths now instead of showers because I'm paranoid about getting the cast wet, even wrapped in a couple bags and secured with tape. She has lots of help getting dressed, and with other everyday functions.
She will have a follow-up appointment next week to see how it's healing. She could have the cast off in as little as four weeks, or as many as eight. Obviously we are hoping for quick-healing.
Sarah took us quite literally about "hitting" the trail and fell off her bike shortly after we made it to the end and turned around. I saw it happen before it actually did, but there was nothing I could do to prevent it. She went down and started screaming.
I checked her out, put her back on the bike, and she cried the four miles back to the car.
She complained about her arm/wrist hurting all evening, but it wasn't swollen or bruised so I gave her Motrin and sent her to bed. It didn't look any worse on Tuesday, but she did say it hurt. On Wednesday she went to soccer practice and fell on it, of course. After that incident it swelled up and she went to the doctor today.She was diagnosed with a radial buckle fracture and is now sporting this bright pink cast.
I know kids break bones and that this is a common occurrence actually, but I hate seeing her hurt. She, fortunately, doesn't seem all that bothered by it. In fact, I think she enjoys being pampered a little bit. She gets baths now instead of showers because I'm paranoid about getting the cast wet, even wrapped in a couple bags and secured with tape. She has lots of help getting dressed, and with other everyday functions.
She will have a follow-up appointment next week to see how it's healing. She could have the cast off in as little as four weeks, or as many as eight. Obviously we are hoping for quick-healing.
Comments
Post a Comment