A year ago today
On March 1, 2011, I found out that Sarah had been accepted into the Ready-K program at St. Ursula's. It was such a proud mommy moment and I posted wrote about it here.
Now, the school year is almost over, and I couldn't be happier with the program or more impressed with how much Sarah has grown. Sarah loves her new friends, her teachers, and being in a school setting. She is truly thriving.
She loves writing and spelling, and will often bring me papers on which she's written several three letter words. When I read to the girls in the evening, Sarah loves to point out words on the pages that she recognizes. It won't be long before she's an independent reader. As a bonus, Sarah's interest in words and language, is inspiring Emmy as well.
Sarah is also doing well in math. This is something I was concerned about as my language skills were always above average, but my math skills were mediocre at best. I hope math will continue to come relatively easily to Sarah and that she doesn't have to endure my struggles.
Computers are her favorite class and they have been since day 1. I have a hard time understanding what exactly they do in computer class, based on Sarah's stories, but I did speak to her teacher yesterday who said she loves watching the kids master the basics. They know how to power on the computers and shut them down properly. She also said the kids have become proficient in using the mouse. That probably requires a bit of coordination for four and five year olds. I'm just glad Sarah enjoys it as much as she does because computers are going to be with us for a long, long time. I also love that the teacher is willing to take on 20 little kids, some of the activity teachers do not.
One downside of being a working mom is that I can't be as involved in school as I'd like. Sarah has Library on Fridays which is coordinated by a couple moms who come into the school for a few hours to help the kids navigate the library and choose books to take home. I would love to help with this, but could not possibly commit to every Friday.
Instead I became involved in the school newsletter as an editor, meaning I lay out the design and create a printer-ready proof. The most recent issue received rave reviews, but there is so much potential and room for improvement. My co-editor, who happens to be my former neighbor, and I plan to brainstorm some ideas. I hope the next issue, due out in May, raises the bar.
Long story short, I am thrilled with St. Ursula's and how well Sarah is doing. It is money well spent.
Now, the school year is almost over, and I couldn't be happier with the program or more impressed with how much Sarah has grown. Sarah loves her new friends, her teachers, and being in a school setting. She is truly thriving.
She loves writing and spelling, and will often bring me papers on which she's written several three letter words. When I read to the girls in the evening, Sarah loves to point out words on the pages that she recognizes. It won't be long before she's an independent reader. As a bonus, Sarah's interest in words and language, is inspiring Emmy as well.
Sarah is also doing well in math. This is something I was concerned about as my language skills were always above average, but my math skills were mediocre at best. I hope math will continue to come relatively easily to Sarah and that she doesn't have to endure my struggles.
Computers are her favorite class and they have been since day 1. I have a hard time understanding what exactly they do in computer class, based on Sarah's stories, but I did speak to her teacher yesterday who said she loves watching the kids master the basics. They know how to power on the computers and shut them down properly. She also said the kids have become proficient in using the mouse. That probably requires a bit of coordination for four and five year olds. I'm just glad Sarah enjoys it as much as she does because computers are going to be with us for a long, long time. I also love that the teacher is willing to take on 20 little kids, some of the activity teachers do not.
One downside of being a working mom is that I can't be as involved in school as I'd like. Sarah has Library on Fridays which is coordinated by a couple moms who come into the school for a few hours to help the kids navigate the library and choose books to take home. I would love to help with this, but could not possibly commit to every Friday.
Instead I became involved in the school newsletter as an editor, meaning I lay out the design and create a printer-ready proof. The most recent issue received rave reviews, but there is so much potential and room for improvement. My co-editor, who happens to be my former neighbor, and I plan to brainstorm some ideas. I hope the next issue, due out in May, raises the bar.
Long story short, I am thrilled with St. Ursula's and how well Sarah is doing. It is money well spent.
Comments
Post a Comment