Our 5th Anniversary
For our fifth anniversary we returned to my hometown of Franklin, PA, where we were married at St. Patrick's Church. While I had hoped to go somewhere warm for our anniversary, it wasn't in the cards.An architect from New York City bought a mansion in what had been the exclusive Miller Park neighborhood on a hill above Franklin about 10 years ago, restored it, and now operates a B&B.
The mansion was built as a wedding present for the daughter of a man who made a fortune during the oil boom in Venango County at the turn of the 20th century. The mansion is located in what had been the exclusive Miller Park, and this place was magical when I was a child. The homes are huge, even bigger when you're a kid, and I just remember how the owners would go all out decorating at Christmas time.
I picked Seth up from school, and we headed north. My parents were going to watch him for the night, but I wanted to get him settled in. He hasn't spent the night without me, or at my parents' by himself, and I didn't just want to drop him off and be gone, like I could do with the girls. Sal met us in Franklin after coming up from Steubenville. Everything went according to plan, and Seth was fine with us leaving.
We had dinner reservations at Bella Cucina's, the only upscale restaurant in Franklin, and then we returned to the bed and breakfast to just hang out and relax, child-free, for the night. We had booked a suite so we had a separate sitting area with views of Franklin.
We agreed that the overnight stay and dinner would be our anniversary gift to each other, and we exchanged cards. It was perfect.
While it doesn't necessarily feel like we just got married yesterday; it does seem impossible that five years have gone by already. Onward to 10.
Comments
Post a Comment