Back to Children's
At about 8pm, as we were winding down for the night, the kids were bathed. Sal was in the shower. Emmy and I were reading in my bedroom, we heard Seth crying downstairs. Sarah brought him upstairs and said that he had tripped, over his own feet she thought, and smacked his head off the concrete floor. She was shaken up, and he was screaming.
I got him calmed down and took a look at his forehead. There was a huge goose egg. I'd never seen such swelling. He seemed okay otherwise, wasn't vomiting, was talking in complete sentences, and was able to walk normally. However, I called to Sal that we need to run to Express Care at the hospital.
The five of us loaded into my car and we ran over. It was almost 8:30, and Express Care is only open until 9 so I was grateful we would get there in time. We got in to see a doctor quickly, and she checked him out. His pupils weren't dilated and he was walking fine. She suggested we wake him every two hours overnight just to check on him.
Had this happened earlier in the day, I just would have kept an eye on him, but with such swelling so close to bedtime, I wanted him checked out for a concussion. I also wondered when we got to the hospital, why all five of us had come, but in the moment, it seemed logical.
We were back home by 9, and the kids were asleep shortly after 9:30, late, but not awful.
It's always an adventure.
Comments
Post a Comment