Ears and Antibiotics
One ear infection, four antibiotics. This is the story of Seth's life as of late.
He was on amoxycillan in early September. We saw definite improvement, but apparently the infection wasn't knocked out completely. Within a few days, he seemed to be relapsing. It was a Sunday and in a parental misstep, I took him to MedExpress. They prescribed Zithromax, which he took just fine, but again it wasn't enough to knock it out. By the time I got him back to the pediatrician his ears were severely infected and Dr. Bhat couldn't even believe he wasn't screaming in pain. She put him on Augmentine.
He had his last dose on October 14. On October 15, I took him in for a re-check. His ear drums were red and there was fluid behind them, but it wasn't infected. That was Thursday. When he woke up Saturday, I knew it was time to see the doctor again. Since I had a First Communion class with Emmy, Sal ran him out.
When they were seen, Seth's temperature was 101 and both ears were re-infected. Dr. Gordon put him on Cefdinir (Omnicef). I think we need to consider tubes at this point, but I'm at the mercy of a pediatrician. I plan to call Dr. Bhat this morning and get her opinion. I have a good rapport with her, and she knows his history.
Update: Dr. Bhat wasn't in this morning, but the nurse sent her a message to call me back when she's in the office again (tomorrow morning).
He was on amoxycillan in early September. We saw definite improvement, but apparently the infection wasn't knocked out completely. Within a few days, he seemed to be relapsing. It was a Sunday and in a parental misstep, I took him to MedExpress. They prescribed Zithromax, which he took just fine, but again it wasn't enough to knock it out. By the time I got him back to the pediatrician his ears were severely infected and Dr. Bhat couldn't even believe he wasn't screaming in pain. She put him on Augmentine.
He had his last dose on October 14. On October 15, I took him in for a re-check. His ear drums were red and there was fluid behind them, but it wasn't infected. That was Thursday. When he woke up Saturday, I knew it was time to see the doctor again. Since I had a First Communion class with Emmy, Sal ran him out.
When they were seen, Seth's temperature was 101 and both ears were re-infected. Dr. Gordon put him on Cefdinir (Omnicef). I think we need to consider tubes at this point, but I'm at the mercy of a pediatrician. I plan to call Dr. Bhat this morning and get her opinion. I have a good rapport with her, and she knows his history.
Update: Dr. Bhat wasn't in this morning, but the nurse sent her a message to call me back when she's in the office again (tomorrow morning).
Comments
Post a Comment