BIRDS!
Most people know just how much I love birds. . .I don't.
Like a moth to flame, I decided to add a trip to the National Aviary in Pittsburgh to my birthday bucket list.
Sal and I took the girls to the aviary yesterday. All four of us had a great time, but major props to Sal who was fighting a migraine during our visit.
Oddly enough, I was most interested in seeing WINGS! the free-flight bird show.
Enter the theater's intimate space and prepare to be thrilled at the free flights
of rare macaws, hooded vultures, massive Eurasian eagle owls, hawks, and more
as they zoom just inches overhead. Travel from the rain forests of South America,
to the plains of Africa, the continent of Europe, and the wild spaces of North
America as video, music, lighting, and stage design add drama and context to the
stories of these remarkable birds, and the threats they face in the wild.
Here are Sal and Sarah waiting for the show to begin:
The aviary is divided into different habitats, woodlands, rain forests, tropics, etc. Sarah's a girl after my own heart; she and I could have stayed in the tropics all day with its warmth and humidity, not to mention some very cool birds. Yes, I said "cool" birds.
Sarah and Emmy enjoyed rock climbing too:
although Emmy did out-climb herself at one point:
We stopped for some pictures at the penguin exhibit:
While it's hard to tell here. . .
Emmy did have fun. See:
The Rhinoceros Hornbills were my favorite and since I found better pictures online than what I was able to take at the aviary, here you go:
Sal, a Browns fan, was not at all impressed when I pointed out these Steelers fans:
He also ran into one of his students and her family. I thought it would be a little awkward if I offered to take a picture.
I had such a fun day scratching item #7 off my birthday bucket list.
Like a moth to flame, I decided to add a trip to the National Aviary in Pittsburgh to my birthday bucket list.
Sal and I took the girls to the aviary yesterday. All four of us had a great time, but major props to Sal who was fighting a migraine during our visit.
Oddly enough, I was most interested in seeing WINGS! the free-flight bird show.
Enter the theater's intimate space and prepare to be thrilled at the free flights
of rare macaws, hooded vultures, massive Eurasian eagle owls, hawks, and more
as they zoom just inches overhead. Travel from the rain forests of South America,
to the plains of Africa, the continent of Europe, and the wild spaces of North
America as video, music, lighting, and stage design add drama and context to the
stories of these remarkable birds, and the threats they face in the wild.
Here are Sal and Sarah waiting for the show to begin:
The aviary is divided into different habitats, woodlands, rain forests, tropics, etc. Sarah's a girl after my own heart; she and I could have stayed in the tropics all day with its warmth and humidity, not to mention some very cool birds. Yes, I said "cool" birds.
Sarah and Emmy enjoyed rock climbing too:
although Emmy did out-climb herself at one point:
We stopped for some pictures at the penguin exhibit:
While it's hard to tell here. . .
Emmy did have fun. See:
The Rhinoceros Hornbills were my favorite and since I found better pictures online than what I was able to take at the aviary, here you go:
Sal, a Browns fan, was not at all impressed when I pointed out these Steelers fans:
He also ran into one of his students and her family. I thought it would be a little awkward if I offered to take a picture.
I had such a fun day scratching item #7 off my birthday bucket list.


Comments
Post a Comment