Television and Cable
As followers of my blog know, I am taking graduate courses toward a Professional Writing for Web Content Development Master's Degree. Obviously we discuss traditional print media and new media such as the internet, blogs, and electronic newspapers.
The subject came up in this course, and in other areas of my life as well, about the possibility of television and cable going the way of The Pony Express. We still get mail, but by different means.
Television and cable as nothing more than another piece of Americana? Television and cable conjuring up periods of nostalgia that will cause our grandchildren to stare at us (half in disbelief and half in boredom) as we talk about settling down on the couch to watch a box for a few hours every night at a prescribed time (we'll forget to mention DVRs; it detracts from the story).
It seems as though more and more people are opting to do without cable. I can't promise your children will turn out "normal" if you choose to do without, but they will survive (as will you, and with a more plentiful savings account too, I'm sure).
I grew up in a home without television, much less cable. No, it wasn’t against my religion (a very common question actually) and my parents are not Amish (that’s typical question number two), it was a choice. One that was made for me. So, shortly after I left my parents’ domain and had my own place, I bought a TV (a small one with a built-in VCR) and ordered cable. Reruns of the Golden Girls and 90210 (along with so many others) were brand new to me. A world of possibilities was available with the Channel Up and Channel Down buttons.
When I got married, Kevin and I indulged ourselves and had 500+ channels at our disposal. I browsed to my heart's content and filled the DVR. When my shows started deleting themselves to make room for others, I was so upset. We needed more space. There had to be other options available that would give me more space! Then, one day I realized that I hadn’t read a good book in years and that my life revolved around my tv viewing schedule.
I had just brought my new baby home from the hospital and I sat watching other people’s newborns on a Baby Story or Bringing Home Baby instead of enjoying my unique experiences as a new mom with my own child. I watched postpartum moms bounce back to their pre-pregnancy shapes in 2 episodes on my favorite sitcoms. I screamed "no whammy no whammy no whammy" at Press Your Luck on the Game Show Network (GSN). I felt at peace with the idea the world would end in 2012 thanks to the History Channel. I dreamed of a second home in some exotic locale, just like the ones featured on House Hunters International. What a pathetic existence. I decided to shut the tv off for a week (granted it was summer so all my shows were on re-runs anyway), but what a liberating week it was.
When I moved into my apartment, I knew from experience that cable was expensive and a time waster. I also had no doubt that Sarah and Emily would see plenty when they visited Kevin, TV as a babysitter anyone? And so, almost a year later, I have survived without HGTV, Glee, and all my other favorites (even GSN, I kid), but amazingly enough, my life is not empty or lacking which leads me to typical question 3, remember typical questions 1 and 2 above? Typical question 3 is "What do you do if you don't have a tv?" Here's what we do instead (which are oddly similar to things I did as a kid):
We read, a lot.
We play games (Memory is great fun for a 4 year old and a 2 year old can be taught)
We play. Just play. With baby dolls. With toys.
We draw pictures.
We make crafts.
We go for walks and feed the ducks.
Sometimes we do pop a "Mommy-approved" VHS tape (that's right VHS) into the now ancient, tube TV and watch Cinderella, Dora, and Thomas the Train come to life, but some characters are just better on a flat page with mommy's voice to give them life - The Berenstein Bears (Stan and Jan Berenstein), George and Martha (James Marshall), Babar (Jean/Laurent de Brunhoff), and Oliva (Ian Falconer).
And, when I want to indulge in mindless entertainment, there's always the internet.
The subject came up in this course, and in other areas of my life as well, about the possibility of television and cable going the way of The Pony Express. We still get mail, but by different means.
Television and cable as nothing more than another piece of Americana? Television and cable conjuring up periods of nostalgia that will cause our grandchildren to stare at us (half in disbelief and half in boredom) as we talk about settling down on the couch to watch a box for a few hours every night at a prescribed time (we'll forget to mention DVRs; it detracts from the story).
It seems as though more and more people are opting to do without cable. I can't promise your children will turn out "normal" if you choose to do without, but they will survive (as will you, and with a more plentiful savings account too, I'm sure).
I grew up in a home without television, much less cable. No, it wasn’t against my religion (a very common question actually) and my parents are not Amish (that’s typical question number two), it was a choice. One that was made for me. So, shortly after I left my parents’ domain and had my own place, I bought a TV (a small one with a built-in VCR) and ordered cable. Reruns of the Golden Girls and 90210 (along with so many others) were brand new to me. A world of possibilities was available with the Channel Up and Channel Down buttons.
When I got married, Kevin and I indulged ourselves and had 500+ channels at our disposal. I browsed to my heart's content and filled the DVR. When my shows started deleting themselves to make room for others, I was so upset. We needed more space. There had to be other options available that would give me more space! Then, one day I realized that I hadn’t read a good book in years and that my life revolved around my tv viewing schedule.
I had just brought my new baby home from the hospital and I sat watching other people’s newborns on a Baby Story or Bringing Home Baby instead of enjoying my unique experiences as a new mom with my own child. I watched postpartum moms bounce back to their pre-pregnancy shapes in 2 episodes on my favorite sitcoms. I screamed "no whammy no whammy no whammy" at Press Your Luck on the Game Show Network (GSN). I felt at peace with the idea the world would end in 2012 thanks to the History Channel. I dreamed of a second home in some exotic locale, just like the ones featured on House Hunters International. What a pathetic existence. I decided to shut the tv off for a week (granted it was summer so all my shows were on re-runs anyway), but what a liberating week it was.
When I moved into my apartment, I knew from experience that cable was expensive and a time waster. I also had no doubt that Sarah and Emily would see plenty when they visited Kevin, TV as a babysitter anyone? And so, almost a year later, I have survived without HGTV, Glee, and all my other favorites (even GSN, I kid), but amazingly enough, my life is not empty or lacking which leads me to typical question 3, remember typical questions 1 and 2 above? Typical question 3 is "What do you do if you don't have a tv?" Here's what we do instead (which are oddly similar to things I did as a kid):
We read, a lot.
We play games (Memory is great fun for a 4 year old and a 2 year old can be taught)
We play. Just play. With baby dolls. With toys.
We draw pictures.
We make crafts.
We go for walks and feed the ducks.
Sometimes we do pop a "Mommy-approved" VHS tape (that's right VHS) into the now ancient, tube TV and watch Cinderella, Dora, and Thomas the Train come to life, but some characters are just better on a flat page with mommy's voice to give them life - The Berenstein Bears (Stan and Jan Berenstein), George and Martha (James Marshall), Babar (Jean/Laurent de Brunhoff), and Oliva (Ian Falconer).
And, when I want to indulge in mindless entertainment, there's always the internet.
I love this. I have tried so many times to get rid on TV in our house and DH just isn't having it. $60 a month to watch nothing! Re runs and more re runs.
ReplyDeleteWe've tossed around this plan once Joyce is old enough to be enthralled by the tv. But for now, I am admittedly dependent on my trash tv for those late night feeding sessions.
ReplyDeleteI really try to limit tv time in our house. It works for the most part, as even though I'm home ALL.DAY, it is on for only 1 hr during Mason's quiet time, then occasionally after they go to bed. But only sometimes. Now....the internet is another story. It's my weakness. Now that i have a laptop....I'm a true addict. What to do.....??
ReplyDelete