The Coast, Day 1, Williamsburg

In theory Colonial Williamsburg is only 6.5 hours from
Pittsburgh, but we have to travel I-95 to get there, on a Friday. I knew it was going to be ugly.

We rolled out of Pittsburgh by 9:30am, stopped for lunch at Subway in Breezewood, and then once we hit the DC area crawled the rest of the way to Williamsburg. Williamsburg was just a stopping point for the night on our way to Elizabeth City, North Carolina.

We plan to spend a few days in Williamsburg with Sal's family after leaving North Carolina. But, in a moment of brilliance, I suggested we eat at our favorite restaurant today, rather than hoping plans would fall together to make it happen later in the trip.

It was after 7 by the time we arrived, but we were seated at Chowning's Tavern right away. They still had Sarah's favorite salad on the menu, the best salad she's ever eaten actually, and some other favorites.

We tried the crock of cheese which is pimento cheese with a bacon jelly, which is served with sweet pickles and crackers. I don't care for sweet pickles, but it's a party in your mouth when all the flavors combine.

We also ordered punch for the table.

I ordered a vegetable trencher, which was perfectly sauteed vegetables served on a fluffy pita bread. Absolutely delicious. Sal ordered the meat version, and also enjoyed it. Emmy and Seth had pizza. A $150 later we declared that our vacation was off to a great start.

Toward the end of our meal, an older gentleman came up to Sal and I and complimented the kids' behavior. I suppose they saw young children come through the door that late in the day and felt their meal would be ruined. The kids were very well-behaved, and it gave all of us a warm fuzzy.

It was getting dark as we made our way down Duke of Gloucester Street, or DOG Street as the locals call it, and we still hadn't checked into our hotel.

I had booked us a basic room at Woodlands Hotel & Suites, and the hotel was easy to find, fit the colonial theme in appearance, and plenty big enough for the five of us. Unfortunately, the main reason I had booked the hotel, the kids splash pad, was closed by the time we arrived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been almost 8 months

Girls Weekend

Hello World. It's me, Dana.