Allegheny Arsenal, Part III

In my hot little hands I am holding the Lawrenceville Historical Society’s newsletter, promised to me by “Coworker Josh”, published by the Lawrenceville Historical Society. Called Historical Happenings it is a wealth of information regarding the Allegheny Arsenal. The research and articles were submitted for the newsletter by Tom Powers and James Wudarczyk.

Since I’ve already discussed a bit of the arsenal’s history, I’ll just make a few additions here.
·        Benjamin Henry Latrobe, one of the most sought after architects in the country, designed the arsenal. Many in western PA will recognize the “Latrobe” name as a town in Westmoreland County was named for him.
·        The arsenal consisted of 50 structures (four buildings remain today).
·        The arsenal stretched over 38 acres.
·        Total cost of the arsenal was $300,000 (an extraordinary amount of money in the early 1800s).
·        The arsenal was abandoned and sold at public auction by the United States government in 1926.

Why Pittsburgh? Click here (Allegheny Arsenal, Part IV) to find out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been almost 8 months

Girls Weekend

Hello World. It's me, Dana.