5 Pennies
Sarah and Emily each receive five pennies at bedtime (see Night Terror), the idea being that if either one gets out of bed for any reason after she’s tucked in, she owes me one penny for each occurrence. Emily either doesn’t understand the concept or doesn’t care, but for Sarah it works like a dream (pun intended).
Actually, it might work a little too well.
I was awakened one night by the sound of her crying. Since she’s not a nighttime crier, I immediately assumed the worst; she was going to be sick. I flew into her room and asked what was wrong. Through her sobs I figured out that she needed to go potty, but was afraid she’d lose a penny. I can only imagine how long she laid there contemplating her dilemma.
Now when I dole out the pennies at bedtime and restate the rule – you get out of bed, you lose a penny – Sarah always pipes up, “unless I have to go potty”.
Comments
Post a Comment