Allegheny Arsenal, Part II
If you haven't read Allegheny Arsenal, Part I, click here.
One of my coworkers lives in Lawrenceville and in passing I remarked that I was in his neighborhood recently checking outArsenal Park . Josh seemed surprised, but I explained the email and my interest in history. That got him talking.
One of my coworkers lives in Lawrenceville and in passing I remarked that I was in his neighborhood recently checking out
I never would have guessed that Josh is a history enthusiast, but he is on the Board of Directors for the Lawrenceville Historical Society. GOLD MINE!
He shared some more information about the arsenal and then casually mentioned that it just so happens the historical society’s newsletter features the Allegheny Arsenal in this publication. Fact is stranger than fiction.
But, it gets even better.
He is going to bring me a copy. . .for a quarter. Ah, gotta love his sense of humor.
Every year on the first Saturday after the 4th of July, Lawrenceville hosts “Doo Dah Days”, or rather Doo Dah Day as it lasts only one day, but that is neither here nor there. Doo Dah Days is a festival celebrating the life and music of Stephen Foster who was born and raised there. While the whole festival sounds like fun (I’ll share more about it later or you can click here), how this is relevant to the Allegheny Arsenal is exciting.
Doo Dah Days includes a trolley ride through Allegheny Cemetery where not only Stephen Foster, his wife, and daughter (along with other notable Pittsburghers) are buried, but it is also the site of the mass grave for the victims of the Allegheny Arsenal explosion.
I would have had no idea where to start searching for the grave, although Josh did say the cemetery office has maps and is open throughout the week and on Saturdays, but doesn’t a trolley ride sound preferable?
read Allegheny Arsenal, Part III here.
Comments
Post a Comment