Mr. Yuk
When Sarah was a baby I was talking to someone at work about things we remembered from the 1980s. Our list included Rainbow Brite, Cabbage Patch Dolls, stirrup pants, and Mr. Yuk (among other things). I wondered if Mr. Yuk was still around so I googled and found out that he is indeed alive and well.
I printed a Mr. Yuk logo and hung him on the refrigerator so that I would have easy access to the poison control center number, just in case. Well, I've now called twice in four years. The first time Sarah decided to taste some Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer. I don't think she ate much and the particular flavor she ingested was not harmful. The second time, Sarah got ahold of a tube of glue and bit off the cap. Her mouth filled with the glue which turned to string instantly when it hit saliva. Again, not harmful, but it shaved a few years off my life.
I printed a Mr. Yuk logo and hung him on the refrigerator so that I would have easy access to the poison control center number, just in case. Well, I've now called twice in four years. The first time Sarah decided to taste some Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer. I don't think she ate much and the particular flavor she ingested was not harmful. The second time, Sarah got ahold of a tube of glue and bit off the cap. Her mouth filled with the glue which turned to string instantly when it hit saliva. Again, not harmful, but it shaved a few years off my life.
.
I walked by Giant Eagle Pharmacy yesterday and saw a sign that next week (March 20-26) is Poison Prevention Week. It made me think of Mr. Yuk all over again. I thought I would pass this information along.
Poison prevention tips: http://www.chp.edu/CHP/Poison+Prevention+Tips
Read about Mr. Yuk: http://www.chp.edu/CHP/mryuk
Order Mr. Yuk stickers by sending a self-addressed, stamped, business size envelope to:
Mr. Yuk
Pittsburgh Poison Center
UPMC
200 Lothrop Street
BIR
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Mr. Yuk
Pittsburgh Poison Center
UPMC
200 Lothrop Street
BIR
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

I remember Mr. Yuk too! Thanks for the info - I need to get some stickers and start teaching Corinne about Mr. Yuk!
ReplyDelete