Ash Wednesday
I've gone back and forth on what I wanted to give up for Lent. For the first time in my life, I wanted to take this season seriously. I guess that means I'm growing up, maturing. . .finally.I reached the conclusion that giving something up wasn't enough of a challenge. When I set a goal, I accomplish it, plain and simple. Give up Facebook? Okay. Would I love it, no? Could I do it? Yes. Give up chocolate? Okay. Again, not that difficult. I would find something to replace it, and besides I honestly don't eat that much chocolate to begin with (same with other junk food).
I decided that in order to make the most of Lent, I needed to DO something. Something that would really be a challenge. The biggest challenge I have is balancing my time between work and home. I have to be at work 8.5 hours a day, Monday through Friday. That's a given, and if I want to keep paying the bills, not working isn't an option. We are definitely a two-income household.
I somehow have to balance being gone 10 hours a day (factoring in my commute), keeping house (this isn't solely my responsibility), and being a wife and mom.
I realized what I need to do for the next 40 days is make a conscious effort to put my family first. When I am with my husband and my children, really be WITH them. Present.
Email, Facebook, running off to do who knows what by myself can wait.
For example, I sometimes sneak time to read while my children are showering. They don't need me to help them shower, and I tell myself because I'm in the bathroom with them, I'm present, but it's a lie; my nose is buried in a book and I barely hear them trying to talk to me. I mumble the requisite "mmmhmmm" from time to time.
Alone time has always been important to me, and I will have to get creative about carving time out for myself over the next 40 days so that it doesn't have a significant impact on those around me. I'm sure there will be many posts to follow about my progress, success, and failures.
Comments
Post a Comment