Out West, Day 7
The last full day of our western adventure.
We woke up early for 9am Mass, only to arrive at the church and find out that the website and sign in their lawn were not updated. The church was dark and empty at 8:55. We scrambled to find another, and ended up at St. Matthew's Cathedral. The priest spoke with a heavy accent, and we were given copies of the homily as we entered. I kind of liked that.
Following Mass we drove the 1.5 hours or so to Denver for a Colorado Rockies game. The radar didn't look promising and sure enough, the announcer came on about 30 minutes before the first pitch and asked that people move from the seats to shelter as hail was threatening. We rode out the hail and torrential downpour for nearly 2 hours wondering if we should just pack it up and head to Colorado Springs.
Finally the skies cleared, and it ended up being beautifully sunny. At that point though, nobody was really feeling the game and we made it through 6 innings, I guess and decided to leave.
Colorado Springs was beautiful. We hadn't been there long when both Sal and I were saying to each other that we need to return and spend more time.
Through crazy amounts of construction we were able to find our hotel, The Buffalo Lodge. This hotel interested me from the beginning and I was determined to stay. I'm a bit of a hotel snob. I'm not one to stay in the cheapest option, and I like an experience. I don't hesitate to pay for atmosphere or cool amenities. So, when we pulled into the parking lot and up to what was obviously an old adobe structure, both my brother and Sal looked at each other and scratched their heads. I'll admit it doesn't look like much, certainly not something you'd expect me to book, but I knew what we were getting. I didn't say anything though.
We pulled up in front of our unit, I opened the front door, and I took in their reactions. They did not disappoint. The room was completely updated and modern with a very cool bicycle theme.We had a king size bed in the main room along with a kitchen and bar for dining. A bathroom was opposite the main door, and a decent size bedroom with a queen bed and bunk bed was off the main room.
If there's one thing I did right on this trip, it was the accommodations. We didn't have complaints, and I'd recommend them all.
It was getting late by the time we checked in, and we needed to find somewhere for dinner. The Manitou Brewing Company had been recommended to us, but it appeared to be closed. We went across the street to the Stagecoach Inn, which looked great from the outside, but never never never go here. The service was beyond slow and dinner took well over two hours from start to finish. When I mentioned this to someone back home who had been to CO Springs several times himself, he said that restaurant is notorious for horrible service. By the time we finished dinner it was after 9pm. We had to be up early the next morning to enjoy a bit of the area before heading back to Denver for our flight home.
We woke up early for 9am Mass, only to arrive at the church and find out that the website and sign in their lawn were not updated. The church was dark and empty at 8:55. We scrambled to find another, and ended up at St. Matthew's Cathedral. The priest spoke with a heavy accent, and we were given copies of the homily as we entered. I kind of liked that.
Following Mass we drove the 1.5 hours or so to Denver for a Colorado Rockies game. The radar didn't look promising and sure enough, the announcer came on about 30 minutes before the first pitch and asked that people move from the seats to shelter as hail was threatening. We rode out the hail and torrential downpour for nearly 2 hours wondering if we should just pack it up and head to Colorado Springs.
Finally the skies cleared, and it ended up being beautifully sunny. At that point though, nobody was really feeling the game and we made it through 6 innings, I guess and decided to leave.
Colorado Springs was beautiful. We hadn't been there long when both Sal and I were saying to each other that we need to return and spend more time.
Through crazy amounts of construction we were able to find our hotel, The Buffalo Lodge. This hotel interested me from the beginning and I was determined to stay. I'm a bit of a hotel snob. I'm not one to stay in the cheapest option, and I like an experience. I don't hesitate to pay for atmosphere or cool amenities. So, when we pulled into the parking lot and up to what was obviously an old adobe structure, both my brother and Sal looked at each other and scratched their heads. I'll admit it doesn't look like much, certainly not something you'd expect me to book, but I knew what we were getting. I didn't say anything though.
We pulled up in front of our unit, I opened the front door, and I took in their reactions. They did not disappoint. The room was completely updated and modern with a very cool bicycle theme.We had a king size bed in the main room along with a kitchen and bar for dining. A bathroom was opposite the main door, and a decent size bedroom with a queen bed and bunk bed was off the main room.
If there's one thing I did right on this trip, it was the accommodations. We didn't have complaints, and I'd recommend them all.
It was getting late by the time we checked in, and we needed to find somewhere for dinner. The Manitou Brewing Company had been recommended to us, but it appeared to be closed. We went across the street to the Stagecoach Inn, which looked great from the outside, but never never never go here. The service was beyond slow and dinner took well over two hours from start to finish. When I mentioned this to someone back home who had been to CO Springs several times himself, he said that restaurant is notorious for horrible service. By the time we finished dinner it was after 9pm. We had to be up early the next morning to enjoy a bit of the area before heading back to Denver for our flight home.
Comments
Post a Comment