A Blur

This month is a blur. With school back in session we're just busy.

Sal and my problems continued into August, and so after he said some particularly hurtful things one morning, which I tried not to take personally, I called a therapist. He and I weren't making any headway ourselves and I felt like we needed an outside perspective. This isn't a marriage-ending fight, but we certainly weren't getting back on track.

We met with our therapist a few times and did some homework together. She seemed to think that this was a blip, a low or a valley, in our relationship, and nothing indicated a systemic problem. After three or four sessions, she felt like we were coming together, gave us some tips to work on going forward, and kicked us out of therapy. It's been a few weeks now since we've seen her, and I think that reboot was all we needed. Things have been much better. It also helps that the school year and routine are back in full-swing. Sal overcame whatever hurtle or block it is that makes returning to the classroom so stressful/anxiety-driven. Next summer, I'm planning some proactive measures to ensure we don't get to that place all over again.

Anyway, it's football season and Sal has been staying after school most nights for band practices for both halftime show and varsity show (which will be at the end of October). The girls have homework or projects every night and some weekends.

Seth caught a 24 hour fever virus last weekend, and I was both happy to hear it wasn't his ears, and frustrated because at least ear infections can be treated. This virus just had to run its course.

Adding further stress is his room at daycare. Seth's potty trained at home, but daycare won't work with him. It's dragging this process out entirely too long, and it makes me frustrated with the teachers to the point that I've already written off giving them anything for Christmas. Each passing month takes us one month closer to his third birthday. I feel like in a way, they're making me wish this year of his life away. I try to remember that I'm lucky I got a reprieve this summer because most families don't.

Since my department was restructured earlier in the year, I've been in and out of meetings all week and my days fly. The number of projects I'm responsible for has been steadily increasing as well.

On a positive note I have started Christmas shopping. With our anniversary, Sal's birthday, and Christmas all hitting the checking account one event after another, I like to spread out the hurt.

I bought tickets to a Straight No Chaser show in May for the show in December (birthday). I found a couple baseball tshirts online for Christmas. I also ordered his anniversary gift and card today. This is our fourth anniversary and traditional gifts are fruit and flowers. This may be the easiest one yet.

The best part of this month though, has been the weather. For the last couple of weeks, we've had temps in the 80s. It's nicer than August was. The calendar may say Fall, but the temperatures do not.

I hope to stay a little more on top of our lives and fun stuff we do, among all the required activities, next month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been almost 8 months

Girls Weekend

Hello World. It's me, Dana.